TESTS FOR DRUGS OF ABUSE
Drug Testing for Drugs of Abuse is of paramount importance nowadays because dependence on these Drugs of Abuse has reached alarming proportions in India. This exists in all sectors, be it schools, colleges or the workplace. Till some time ago, it was virtually impossible to detect the presence of such drugs within the individual’s body. However, Lateral flow chromatographic immunoassays for the qualitative detection of drugs and drug metabolites in urine are now available. Some of these tests are available for the first time in India. We have been using these tests for a long time now and found them to be highly sensitive and specific.
Tests for the following Drugs of abuse are now available:
- Cannabis – Charas / Hashish / Hash, Ganja / Marijuana / Weed / Pot, Bhang
- Opiates – Brown Sugar / Smack, Heroin, Codeine / Dextromorphan, Fortwin, Pethidine, Buprenorphine, Dextropropoxyphene etc.
- Ecstasy (MDMA)
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
We also test for various adulterants and contaminants in the Urine sample. These include:
- pH assessment
- Specific Gravity tests
The cost for each individual test is variable and can be found out from the centre.
Indications for Drug Testing
Some conditions where the tests may be recommended are the following:
- Initial screening in suspected Drug abuse
- Assessment of a case of altered behavior especially in adolescents / young adults
- Assessment of an Unconscious patient
- Assessment of a case of suicidal attempt
- Follow up of such cases
- Reemergence of symptoms in a known case of psychosis
- In the corporate setting:
- As a part of the check up done at the time of recruitment
- As a part of the routine medical check up done in most organizations
- As a random check, the tests could be administered periodically to some executives of the organization to estimate the extent of the problem in the organization.
Collection of the Sample
The tests are carried out on a random sample of urine collected in a plain vial. Either the patient could be referred to the center or the sample collected and sent.
Please feel free to contact us on phone or through email.